I was Chris' wife/caregiver & this is the medical blog I wrote during his treatment. Short history: dx in July 2010, no initial bone marrow involvement, did 5 rounds hyper-cvad protocol. Found out he is in relapse/refractory status with involvement in his chest, spleen, inguinal & throat lymph nodes, bone marrow, spine & brain in January 2011 when we went to MD Anderson for treatment. The two different rounds of chemo Chris got at MDA could not put him in remission; he died of leukemia/lymphoma on March 18th, 2011, an astonishing and horrific 8 months after his diagnosis.
There is a donation page for organizations here: http://chriscranecancer.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 2, 2010

transferred to ICU

I'm just going to do this post in a timeline format starting with last night.

I left the hospital at about 11:30 last night.  He had finished his 3 unit of blood and was on antibiotics.  The charge nurse attempted to access his powerport and it looked promising.  After I got home Chris texted and let me know they were able to finally use his powerport to get/give blood and antibiotics.  I spoke with his nurse before I went to sleep and because his hemoglobin was still low he was going to get 2 more units of blood.
When I woke up this morning Chris had texted me a picture of him with blood all over his shirt.  Apparently at about 3 a.m. the powerport starting bleeding due to a hematoma so they had to take the needle out and stop using it.  
I got here at about 9 this morning and noticed that he had very puffy eyes and he was having problems breathing thru his nose and was coughing up lots of phlegm as well as blowing it out of his nose.
I called his nurse and she checked him over and took some vitals.  He first got 2 IV doses of benadryl but that didn't seem to help and we noticed he was developing hives over most of his body he was given doses of steroids and an oxygen mask.
The floor doctor, Dr. Anderson, came in to see him and after his hives didn't go away 30 minutes later the decision was made to transfer him to ICU where he can get more attention since the nurses there have less patients. 
He will be getting regular doses of steroids and he also received an epinephrine shot.  
In the middle of writing this he was moved to his room in ICU.  I am now at home since he needs to get some sleep.  
He has another unit of blood to get but first they are going to do some tests to get rid of the hematoma.  He was already looking much better when he got down to ICU.  His eyes were much less puffy and the hives are almost all gone.  They don't know the origin of his allergic reaction since it did not occur immediately following any medication.  Figuring some of this out will take some time.  
I will update more later when I am able to go see him during visiting hours and he has had a chance to rest.  They ask that visitors turn off their phones before going into the ICU area.  

No comments:

Post a Comment