I was Chris' wife/caregiver & this is the medical blog I wrote during his treatment. Short history: dx in July 2010, no initial bone marrow involvement, did 5 rounds hyper-cvad protocol. Found out he is in relapse/refractory status with involvement in his chest, spleen, inguinal & throat lymph nodes, bone marrow, spine & brain in January 2011 when we went to MD Anderson for treatment. The two different rounds of chemo Chris got at MDA could not put him in remission; he died of leukemia/lymphoma on March 18th, 2011, an astonishing and horrific 8 months after his diagnosis.
There is a donation page for organizations here: http://chriscranecancer.blogspot.com

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Chris died yesterday

My heart, my husband, my best friend died with me by his side yesterday March 18th.

I can't believe he is gone, it happened so fast.  I am glad he is not in pain anymore.  The doctors told me Thursday morning that there was nothing more they could do for him.  He died close to 4 p.m. the following day.

I'm numb and heart broken and I'm so many things that words can't express.  I wasn't ready.  Time seems to have stopped and be going in fast forward all at the same time.


Christopher Martin Hellberg
February 26th 1975 - March 18th 2011

1 comment:

  1. You did an amazing job Amanda. You were by his side 24/7 and poured your heart and soul into helping him. He is no longer in pain and flying with the angels. You were blessed to have such a wonderful husband and Magnus will understand one day how much his father loved him. My heart goes out to you and the entire family. Chris will always be remembered!!! I am so sorry for your loss. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete