I was Chris' wife/caregiver & this is the medical blog I wrote during his treatment. Short history: dx in July 2010, no initial bone marrow involvement, did 5 rounds hyper-cvad protocol. Found out he is in relapse/refractory status with involvement in his chest, spleen, inguinal & throat lymph nodes, bone marrow, spine & brain in January 2011 when we went to MD Anderson for treatment. The two different rounds of chemo Chris got at MDA could not put him in remission; he died of leukemia/lymphoma on March 18th, 2011, an astonishing and horrific 8 months after his diagnosis.
There is a donation page for organizations here: http://chriscranecancer.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

leukemia still aggressive - new chemo starting today


Things have been rough and are getting rougher.

First I am moving our things to new lodging today to a cheaper option - I don't have that mailing address but we can't receive mail at the previous address anymore.  

Chris had a bone marrow biopsy last Wednesday.  The results we got on Thursday showed he had 86% blasts.  Basically this means that the chemo they tried is not working and the leukemia is coming back aggressively.
We should find out and he should start this week whatever chemo they are going to try next.  The goal is obviously to get him into remission and then he will need a stem cell transplant.  Because he has relapsed during the initial chemo (hyper-cvad) and the salvage chemo regimen (augmented hyper-cvad) is not working his prognosis is not good.

Timeline of events:

Thursday: find out bad news about bone marrow biopsy.  was told we could have a day off to go see magnus.  take chris to his IV meds appt, go to hotel & pack, come back to MDA and pick him up and head to georgetown.  Arrive at hotel at about 11:30 p.m.  We had to stay in a hotel because chris has been considered neutropenic since february 1st, so sharing a room with magnus is not a good idea.

Friday: 45 minutes after arriving at hotel Chris gets a fever.  I take him into the ER at the hospital in Georgetown.  I leave the ER at about 5 a.m. when his dad arrives.  I get about 3 hours of sleep at the hotel.  Chris' parents bring Magnus into the ER to visit his dad while I'm sleeping.  I wake up and go see Magnus.

Thru Sunday:  Chris spends his birthday in the hospital (Saturday).  Chris gets discharged at about 5:30 p.m. and I drive him straight back to Houston.  I take him into the ER at MD Anderson when he develops fever chills and is disoriented at the hotel (couldn't tell me where he was, wasn't making sense).  We arrive at ER close to 11:30 and a few hours later he is less disoriented.  He needs to be on oxygen and a heart monitor so we have to wait for a specific type of room to open up on the leukemia unit.  We wait 16.5 hour in a tiny & loud ER room ( there is loud construction going on on the other side of the wall).

Monday: He finally gets a room at about 5 p.m. on the leukemia floor.  He will be here for a week or more.  They are doing tests to try and figure out if he has an infection or not.

I'm skipping ahead to today, Wednesday:
So far no infection has shown up in his labs.  He is feeling very miserable.  He spiked another fever last night and I stayed with him until about 3 a.m. - he had to go get a chest CT after midnight.  They want to make sure he doesn't had the flu - he's been congested for a few days.  So they are testing for that today.

His new chemo regimen has been decided and he will start it this afternoon or evening.
He will be getting a combination of Nelarabine and Cyclophosphamide over the next five days in the hospital.  He has a 20 to 30 % chance of going into remission with this regimen.  We won't know for another month or so if it's working, he'll have a bone marrow biopsy about 21 days from now.  The same routine from the last chemo they tried.  If this does not work then they will have to try a clinical trial option - those usually only have a 5% success rate.  If he does not get into remission he will die.
We will need to be at MD Anderson on a daily basis for awhile again.  
If they are able to get him into remission he has to have a stem cell transplant.  The odds of this disease not killing him are not good.  This is our grim reality.  There will be no point in his life that he will be cured.  All we can hope and work towards is getting him into remission and keeping him there.  Because he has relapsed in treatment and isn't responding to the chemo he's had so far the odds of him relapsing again, if they are able to achieve remission, are very high.  
We will need to be at MD Anderson for the next 3-6 months.  
These chemo regimens are incredibly rough on Chris.  As tough as things have been they are only going to get tougher.  He has been and continues to be disoriented off&on.  This may get worse when the chemo starts.  He continues to need near daily blood & platelet transfusions.  
Chris has had friends that live here and friends that live as far as 11 hours away come visit him.  Even tho he isn't always able to spend much time with them depending upon how he feels, having people come see him helps a lot.  This process can feel very very lonely.  
There is no way to describe it unless you yourself have had an aggressive cancer or been a caregiver for someone with cancer.  It's the most horrible thing I have ever had to deal with in my life and it's ripped away any sense of normalcy.  Our belongings are in storage and we have no home.  Our son hasn't been in our lives on an even weekly basis since the middle of July.  Chris needs care nearly 24/7 when he isn't inpatient at the hospital.  There is no break from this, not for us anyway.  
I'm exhausted and I miss my son more and more each day.
NOTE: if you read this leave a comment.  I go out of my way to do these updates and text ppl to let them know they are posted.  I need some acknowledgement it's been read.  

12 comments:

  1. We'd like to come see him. Maybe early next wk if he's feeling alright-I'm thinking sunday but have to check w/ the Mr. since I know he really wants to see him also. We'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dralion but who are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's alex... I'm holding out hope for you and your family. you are in our thoughts daily... keep me in the loop about the move to Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update. I keep you and Chris in my thoughts. Fingers crossed that something turns around for him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, I wish I lived closer to help you guys out. I keep Chris in my prayers and I try to keep a few friends who keep contact with me that are concerned about Chris up to date. The blogs help. If there is anything I can do from here, please let me know. Give Chris my love and tell him he is thought of often by his Old El Paso crew ;)
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart breaks so many times over for you all. You have lived a very hard life and don't deserve any of this. When I read about how difficult all of this is, it makes me want to punch people who drive around smiling in the face. (not just for them being so easy and care free but mostly because that annoys the shit out of me)

    ReplyDelete
  7. positive mojo being sent now...........and now.......and now......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all the work you put into keeping family and friends up-to-date on Chris and his treatment. Thank you for everything you do for him. You are a rock ... and that is meant in the most positive way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for continually keeping us posted. We will keep both of you in our thoughts.
    Jared & Mika

    ReplyDelete