I was Chris' wife/caregiver & this is the medical blog I wrote during his treatment. Short history: dx in July 2010, no initial bone marrow involvement, did 5 rounds hyper-cvad protocol. Found out he is in relapse/refractory status with involvement in his chest, spleen, inguinal & throat lymph nodes, bone marrow, spine & brain in January 2011 when we went to MD Anderson for treatment. The two different rounds of chemo Chris got at MDA could not put him in remission; he died of leukemia/lymphoma on March 18th, 2011, an astonishing and horrific 8 months after his diagnosis.
There is a donation page for organizations here: http://chriscranecancer.blogspot.com

Sunday, October 10, 2010

move to Texas

I thought I'd post on here about our plans to move to Austin.  We want to move there to be closer to friends and family and because of various factors the sooner we get there the better.
So I looked on the Texas Oncology website and searched for doctors in the Austin area.  I focused on those in the south Austin area since that is where we will be staying.  Dr. Kampe was my first choice because of the fact that he has a M.D. AND a Ph.D. and he works out of the south Austin cancer center.  When I googled his name I found glowing patient reviews!  Here is his profile:
We talked to Chris' current doctor about us moving and he wasn't much help as far as references go, he said he didn't know anyone.  
So I cold-called Texas Oncology and spoke to a woman with new patient services and before I could mention Dr. Kampe's name she said that's who she recommends!  She has worked for Texas Oncology for 10 years and said if she was sick she would go to him, that he is just as kind to his staff as he is with his patients, that he is very detail oriented and takes the time to explain things and answer questions!
I've talked to Dr. Kampe's new patient staff and we are going to tentatively set up a first appointment in early November.
The only thing that will prevent us from making the appointment is if Chris has to be hospitalized here in Wichita for neutropenia around our move date.  So for now we can just plan for the move and then deal with what happens if he's in the hospital during that time.
I'm excited to have found him an excellent doctor that will be just down the street a mile or so from where we are staying. 
We are really really looking forward to being closer to friends and family and of course our son Magnus.
I've told Chris that he didn't have to get cancer to get me to move to Texas and start cooking more!

No comments:

Post a Comment