I was Chris' wife/caregiver & this is the medical blog I wrote during his treatment. Short history: dx in July 2010, no initial bone marrow involvement, did 5 rounds hyper-cvad protocol. Found out he is in relapse/refractory status with involvement in his chest, spleen, inguinal & throat lymph nodes, bone marrow, spine & brain in January 2011 when we went to MD Anderson for treatment. The two different rounds of chemo Chris got at MDA could not put him in remission; he died of leukemia/lymphoma on March 18th, 2011, an astonishing and horrific 8 months after his diagnosis.
There is a donation page for organizations here: http://chriscranecancer.blogspot.com

Monday, October 4, 2010

today's counts


I just got off the phone with Chris' nurse with his counts for today.  So far they aren't showing much improvement but he has not had a fever in the last 24 hours.  She explained to me that sometimes the antibiotics that neutropenic patients need to be on to prevent infection don't help them produce new white blood cells.  I was looking at this counts when he was neutropenic last month and they didn't get better for nearly 8 days.
(IMAGE NOT COPIED)
In the spreadsheet above from last month you can see his levels were much lower than they are now but they recovered after awhile.  This is why his Dr. is not planning any tests for a few more days to give his counts a chance to come up.  
His nurse also said it would be ok for me to come visit him for awhile, wearing a mask of course.  He's been pretty lonely all weekend.  I am planning on visiting him and then heading to a clinic to make sure I don't have a throat infection like I did last season.  I don't have a sore throat anymore but I'm still a bit congested so I want to make sure.
His counts for today and yesterday:
(IMAGE NOT COPIED)
Oh and I know not all of you can be on facebook right when I post these and some of you don't have access to facebook at work.  If anything serious ever occurs I won't be using facebook to communicate but calls/texts instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment