I was Chris' wife/caregiver & this is the medical blog I wrote during his treatment. Short history: dx in July 2010, no initial bone marrow involvement, did 5 rounds hyper-cvad protocol. Found out he is in relapse/refractory status with involvement in his chest, spleen, inguinal & throat lymph nodes, bone marrow, spine & brain in January 2011 when we went to MD Anderson for treatment. The two different rounds of chemo Chris got at MDA could not put him in remission; he died of leukemia/lymphoma on March 18th, 2011, an astonishing and horrific 8 months after his diagnosis.
There is a donation page for organizations here: http://chriscranecancer.blogspot.com

Friday, October 1, 2010

contact info for 7SW and update

I only spent about 2 hours with Chris at the hospital today because I'm still feeling sick.  Even tho I want to be there and he wants me to be there it isn't wise with his counts so low.  I don't know if I have a little cold or bug but I stayed home from work to rest and slept for a few hours once I got home.  It's very frustrated to feel sick and not be by Chris' side.
At any rate before I fell asleep Chris called and told me his nurse told him one of his blood cultures came back positive for infection.  So they are increasing his antibiotics to help treat the infection that is in his central line.  Infections, along with the low blood counts, are common and it's nothing they are alarmed about and they know how to treat it.  Chris is feeling pretty concerned and lonely making it even worse that I'm at home and not with him.  I've encouraged him to ask more questions from his nurse to reassure him.  He's still feeling physically pretty yucky but better than he was yesterday.
I couldn't remember if I had shared the contact info for the nurses station or not so I have it listed below.
The phone # to the nurses station 7SW  (316) 268-5793 and Chris' password is Lily.  Shift change is at 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. so the hour after that isn't a good time to call for information.  
All of you are also listed on his HIPAA forms as well.  If there are ever any questions I can't answer or anything like that please feel free to call and ask to talk to his nurse.  
I'm hoping I start feeling better so I can go visit him tomorrow, if I'm not feeling better it probably isn't wise for me to go there.  
Even tho we are told and I've read that all these low levels and even infections are normal it's a bit scary.  Chris' roommate that died passed out at his house and was taken by ambulance to the hospital, his low blood levels made him vulnerable and he developed pneumonia which he died from.  So when Chris' levels get low and he has fevers and now this infection it really scares him.  
Even tho I get scared too I try not show him and reassure him the best I can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment