I was Chris' wife/caregiver & this is the medical blog I wrote during his treatment. Short history: dx in July 2010, no initial bone marrow involvement, did 5 rounds hyper-cvad protocol. Found out he is in relapse/refractory status with involvement in his chest, spleen, inguinal & throat lymph nodes, bone marrow, spine & brain in January 2011 when we went to MD Anderson for treatment. The two different rounds of chemo Chris got at MDA could not put him in remission; he died of leukemia/lymphoma on March 18th, 2011, an astonishing and horrific 8 months after his diagnosis.
There is a donation page for organizations here: http://chriscranecancer.blogspot.com

Friday, October 1, 2010

update


Blood cultures are still negative for infection.  He is feeling pretty terrible and his fever spiked at 104.4 around 8:30 last night but was down to 98.2 around 11 p.m.  He is getting the antibiotics and lortab to help with the fevers.  His fever went up and down all night and seems to be settling down a bit today.  
His nurses and Dr. say this is all typical of his blood cancer and treatment but it's not feeling very reassuring.  At this point we can just wait for the daily GM shots and the antibiotics to do their job and get his levels up, taking it day by day.
It's probably more frustrating this time because I'm feeling slightly under the weather.  So I'm not spending as much time with him at the hospital and am always wearing a mask around him and constantly washing my hands and trying not to touch things that he touches.  
When he's neutropenic kissing is risky and especially with me feeling a bit sick it's a no-no.  When he gets chemo we also aren't allowed to exchange kisses since he's toxic.  So no kissing my husband for the last week and not anytime soon since once his levels are back up he'll hopefully start his next round of chemo.  
When I asked his dr. the other day about precautions at home he said just to blow him kisses and gave me a wonderfully hilarious demonstration.  His Dr. is a bit strange but we enjoy it, his attempts at humor are lovely.
Anyway he said to me "this is how my daughters showed me" he puts up one of his arms into a pageant wave stance and says "elbow elbow wrist wrist touch the pearls and blow a kiss" complete with the matching moments.  He then offered up a variation "shed a tear and blow a kiss" also with the moments.  It was hilarious and I wish I had it on video so share.  
Chris did an impression of him once that had his nurses laughing.  His Dr. is known for his utterings of "uhmm uhmm uhmm, yes, yes uh uh, mmmm"  repeat.  
Since Chris was up most of the night he asked me to visit a bit later so he can get some extra sleep.  So I'll be heading his way shortly and then work later this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment