I was Chris' wife/caregiver & this is the medical blog I wrote during his treatment. Short history: dx in July 2010, no initial bone marrow involvement, did 5 rounds hyper-cvad protocol. Found out he is in relapse/refractory status with involvement in his chest, spleen, inguinal & throat lymph nodes, bone marrow, spine & brain in January 2011 when we went to MD Anderson for treatment. The two different rounds of chemo Chris got at MDA could not put him in remission; he died of leukemia/lymphoma on March 18th, 2011, an astonishing and horrific 8 months after his diagnosis.
There is a donation page for organizations here: http://chriscranecancer.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 20, 2011

another day over with


I'm a bit scatter-brained since I've been up since 3:30 but I'll try my best to give an update.

He had the bone marrow biopsy early this afternoon and it went fine.  Preliminary results are available in 24 hours and complete results in a week.
His platelets had to be 50 for the neck biopsy and when we got back to his room from the bone marrow biopsy we found out they had jumped from 8 to 50 after his transfusion this morning.  
So a few hours later they took him down for the throat biopsy and we just got back to his room a little bit ago.  Results will be back in 3-5 days (not including the weekend).  It's looking like it won't be until the end of next week that we will have results from many of these tests.  
We have been in Houston 8 days now, he has been in the hospital for 6 days.  He keeps asking to go home but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.  
Since he had sedation with both procedures he is a bit groggy.  He couldn't eat or drink anything, even water, since midnight to prepare for the tests.  Finally he can have some water but he doesn't feel like eating.  He's eaten only one regular meal of solid food in a week.  I ordered him some soup just in case I can get him to try it.  He has had nausea and vomiting off and on for the past few days.
I'm going to eat some dinner here with him, sometimes if I'm eating he'll try to eat too.  I'm hoping he has a better night tonight than he did last night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment