I was Chris' wife/caregiver & this is the medical blog I wrote during his treatment. Short history: dx in July 2010, no initial bone marrow involvement, did 5 rounds hyper-cvad protocol. Found out he is in relapse/refractory status with involvement in his chest, spleen, inguinal & throat lymph nodes, bone marrow, spine & brain in January 2011 when we went to MD Anderson for treatment. The two different rounds of chemo Chris got at MDA could not put him in remission; he died of leukemia/lymphoma on March 18th, 2011, an astonishing and horrific 8 months after his diagnosis.
There is a donation page for organizations here: http://chriscranecancer.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

complete PET scan results info, cancer may have spread



I'm feeling a bit numb and exhausted after today so my apologies if this update is a bit disjointed.

I asked for a copy of the PET scan results and asked more questions of the Dr. that saw Chris today.  The Dr. we saw yesterday didn't tell us too much about the results.
The scan shows that the cancer is still in his throat, on the left and right side.  It also shows activity in his chest, groin region, spleen, and bone marrow.   I don't know what this means yet.  The PET scan alone is not enough to determine if cancer is in all of those places.  
He had a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) done today in his room.  They will take a sample of his spinal fluid to test for cancer as well as inject him with a chemo he has had in his spine before, called Cytarabine.  All previous spinal fluids have tested negative for cancer.  If this test is positive it means the cancer is in his spinal column and possibly brain.  I do not know when we will get these results.
When I left the hospital to come back to the hotel and do his laundry he was being taken away for a head CT.  They are concerned about what may or may not be going on inside his head since he has been extremely fatigued and disoriented these past few days.  
Tomorrow morning he is scheduled to have a bone marrow biopsy at 8:30.  He will have a biopsy of his throat/neck area tomorrow at 3 as well.  Both procedures will be done with sedation.  
Chris originally had the growth in his throat biopsied in Kansas in July.  They are doing another one because they want to know if this is the same cancer coming back or a different one.
The results from the throat/neck biopsy will not be back for 3-5 days, not including the weekend; so not until next week.
He is scheduled to get a brain MRI done on Friday.
I hope that we will get at least some results by the end of this week and some information about what the next step is.  So far when I ask when we will know what the next step is I'm told that they will maybe decide something by the end of the week, but of course it depends upon when the test results come back.

This is obviously not the news we expected coming down here.  It's been rather scary and I just hope we find out more information sooner than later.  Waiting is so hard.

I don't really know what else to say.  Sharing this news is hard.  Especially since I don't know what it means or what treatment he will be getting.  Finding out the results of the tests and knowing what course of treatment they recommend will help me move forward.  For now being stuck in this limbo is so difficult.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry and will keep my fingers crossed. Sending ALL the good thoughts and healing energy that I can.

    ReplyDelete